The first school building on this site was constructed in 1896 by the London and North-Eastern Railway Company to educate the families of its employees: boys only. Some ten years later the adjacent First School was erected for infants and girls, commissioned by Buckinghamshire County Council and designed by architects Harrington, Ley and Kerkham of London. The buildings are still home to a nursery and primary school today, Wyvern School, and received Grade II listed status in 2001.
TRC was appointed by Milton Keynes County Council in June 2014 to undertake refurbishment of the original school windows. The building would still be occupied during the 14-week programme, so extreme care was needed to minimise disruption to teaching and ensure health and safety for all. Scaffolding was erected throughout the project, and any disruptive work was carried out after school and during break times.
Our comprehensive window refurbishment programme included stripping back existing paint from the historic sash windows and repairing decayed timber as necessary. We undertook repairs to glazing; and installed draught proofing to improve the building’s thermal and acoustic containment. Finally, the windows were repainted by our team, and ironmongery installed.
We also undertook brick and stone repairs to the building’s exterior, and some doors were replaced.
Client: Milton Keynes Council
Contract Administrator: John Burke Associates, Chartered Building Consultants
Contract Value: £200,000
Timber window repairs